28 December 2009

What's-in-the-fridge Quiche

I hope you had a wonderful festive season! I was lucky enough to have my parents and sisters over for Christmas and even though my husband was on call, it was a lovely day and we had so much fun!

While they were here, I decided to make them my Spinach and Seared Fillet Pasta, which they loved, so give it a try! I promised to post a photo next time I made it, so here it is:

(Click on the picture to go to the original post for the recipe)

And now for my new recipe! This is my favourite way to cook. You know the feeling - dinner is coming up, but you have no idea what to cook and your husband (and kids) will not be happy to go to bed with rumbling tummies!

So here I have a sollution for these days: Just make sure that you always have a few key ingredients on hand. I always have some ready rolled puff pasty (store bought) in my freezer and I (nearly) always have eggs and cheese, which are the only must-have ingredients for this quiche!

What's-in-the-fridge Quiche

Defrost the puff pastry, preferably at room temperature, but you can use the microwave - just don't let it cook!

Pre-heat the oven to 180◦C.

Spray, oil or butter an oven-proof dish and unroll the pastry into the dish. Cut to fit and put in the fridge until needed.

Now for the fun part: the fridge raid!
- Onions are always welcome and I never make a quiche without them
- Left-over meat like saussages, viennas, steak, etc. or a some bacon (skip the meat entirely for a vegetarian dish)
- Some veggies that will spoil if you don't use it right now, like broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, etc.
- Any cheese you like (or have in the fridge), grated
- Don't forget your cubpoard! There may be a forgotten can of mushrooms or asparagus that will be great in a quiche!

If you are using ingredients that need cooking, like raw onion (spring onions can go into the quiche without cooking), just stir-fry until cooked and place in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Now is the time to add salt and pepper and other seasoning to taste. Mix thoroughly and scoop loosely into the dish with the pastry.

Beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl and add about 150ml milk and a heaped teaspoon of plain flour. Pour this over your ingredient mixture and pop into the oven for 45 minutes or until the eggs have been cooked through.

Serve hot or cold.


If you are still a bit insecure in the kitchen, you can try my fridge-raid quiche that I made yesterday (picture):

- 2 Onions (sliced and cooked)
- 1 Packet of diced bacon (cooked)
- 1 Left-over Kassler chop (smoked pork), sliced
- A few sundried tomatoes, quartered
- A handful of fresh rosa tomatoes, sliced in smaller pieces
- 1 can of sliced mushrooms (drained)
- 100g Gouda cheese, grated

And that's all there is to it!

A few good quiche ingredient ideas:
bacon, pancetta, viennas, sausages, onions, spring onions, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, baby marrows, tomatoes (sparingly, as they contain lots of juices), cooked potatoes, cheddar or gouda, feta, camembert or brie

No comments:

Post a Comment